Gentle Readers, one of the very best things about celebrating Christmas is the ridiculous amount of cookies to be made, eaten, or even just admired. Fine, I’ll admit that’s my very specific point of view, but, lean in close so I can confess, I really really love cookies. For anyone who has traveled with me, you know that cookie breaks are often mandatory.
Chocolate chip is a classic, and I may very well dress it up with dried cherries this holiday season. Here’s a rough bet on what I’ll have in my cookie jar this holiday.
Christmas Cookie Wish List
1. Peanut Butter Cookies: These Cook’s Illustrated jewels take time and care, but are oh so worth it. The cross-hatching will be done by the Juniors. I cannot be alone with these cookies.
2. Date-Nut Cookies: A stovetop classic, I’ve modified this 1950s family staple so it no longer oozes butter. Not that I’m against oozing butter, but times have changed. Sticky melted dates bound with Rice Krispies, yes please. **I thought I had shared this recipe before, but apparently haven’t. Coming up Friday!**
3. Buttersotch Scotchies: These were such a Thanksgiving hit, they’re coming round again. I may add some orange-scented dried cranberries, just to keep it real.
4. Chocolate Chip Cookies: If I’m not exhausted from the above, I’ll soldier on to the classic. I want to try a new version this year.
5. Sugar Cookies: Another family classic, I like that you can make a simple cookie shaped like anything. This is also a stretch goal, as I only have one stomach. **This recipe will also be coming up soon!**
To top it off, I’m making spiced nuts as giveaways this year. I love a little savory with my sweet. What’s in your cookie jar? Send me a link to your favorites in the comments section below or on the Twitters! Or even a picture, I’m hungry. 🙂
Send your cookie jars, festive containers, and great ideas to practical cook at gmail dot com. Connect on Facebook: The Practical Cook Blog. (Thanks in advance for spreading The Practical Cook Blog word. Press “like” on Facebook today!)
On Friday, Date-Nut Cookies Recipe!