Gentle Readers, The Practical Cook is infinitely fond of variety and options on the table. For whatever reason, I become even more so in the summer. I just don’t want too much of anything (that’s not ice cold watermelon). Enter the open-faced sandwich plate.
I can’t even call this crostini, because I didn’t toast the bread. This is slices of bread with interesting toppings. Here’s what’s on the plate, starting with the tomato sandwiches at 9 o’clock and going clockwise.
1. Tomato. Just thick slices, a dab of mayo, a sprinkle of salt, and a healthy grind of pepper.
2. Cucumber, goat cheese, and dill. This was my favorite. I’ve eaten it three more times since.
3. Tangy Tuna Melt. Initially we melted some colby jack on the bread for tuna adherence, but dropped it in the second round. The tuna is just chunk light mixed with a touch of mayo and a very healthy dollop of sweet hot mustard from Trader Joe’s. Top it with sliced green olives, and The Practical Cooks Junior ate it up. This is shocking for the Eldest, who is not a fan. Give it a try.
4. Hummus with roasted red peppers. The Juniors love this combo.
5. Pickled beets with goat cheese and dill. Thinly slice some pickled beets and you’re on to something. This is a beautiful sandwich, and another favorite of the Juniors.
What are your favorite sandwich combinations? Post a comment below, or Tweet my way with your ideas!
I obviously think about food a lot. The converse, I also think about people who don’t have food a lot. Kids who are hungry can’t really enjoy the simple pleasures of summertime. When school is out, a key source of nutrition is often missing for those in need. You can help.
Find ways to give back in your area if you’re outside North Carolina. Thanks for listening.
Send your kitchen confessions, challenges, and food questions to practical cook at gmail dot com. Connect on Facebook: The Practical Cook Blog. (Thanks in advance for spreading The Practical Cook Blog word. Press “like” on Facebook today!)
Believe it or not, and I do not, it’s almost time for Sunday Weekly Menus!