Gentle Readers, true story, The Practical Cook’s Mom showed up with this in her purse just a few weeks ago. And you wonder why she’s such a popular guest. Sitting at the happy crossroads of honeybuns and cake, without further adieu, the woman behind the magic, My Mom!
Honeybun Cake Recipe
(adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook) Quick, easy, and delicious!!!
1 box plain yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water (I boil it in the microwave first and then mix in the sugar and vanilla.)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 13 by 9 baking pan. You may want to cut the oven down to 325 when you put the cake in, or at least after it’s been in for 10-15 minutes if it seems to be browning too fast.
2. Mix cake mix, sour cream, oil, and eggs in large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. With medium speed, beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look thick and well-blended.
3. Pour half the batter into the pan and gently spread out with your spatula. Evenly sprinkle the well-mixed brown sugar-cinnamon filling over this. Then gently pour and smooth the rest of the batter over the filling.
4. With the spatula, do a few zig zags through the batter to swirl the filling around. (This works better than putting the filling on last and then swirling.) Don’t be afraid to zig into the corners of the pan.
5. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 30-35 minutes, depending on your oven. Take the cake out, and while the cake is still hot, drizzle the glaze over the top.
Warning: you’ll have to force yourself to stop eating this cake!!
Are you a fan of honeybuns? Cake? Post a comment below!
Send your confessions, questions, and good ideas to practical cook at gmail dot com. Connect on Facebook: The Practical Cook Blog. (Thanks in advance for spreading The Practical Cook Blog word. Press “like” on Facebook today to stay current on all of The Practical Cook news!)
Tomorrow, Blueberry Herb Salad. Trust me.