Gentle Readers, if The Practical Cook’s Mom had one rule that was enforced relentlessly, it was that one must eat a green veg with every meal. Breakfast was excepted, but orange juice or another fruit was required. To this day, my brother and I can’t eat a meal without a green vegetable. Seriously.
As we all know, this can be challenging if you’re pressed for time. However, you can stock the pantry to your advantage. Here are some of my favorite Green Vegetables:
1. Sugar Snap Peas. These are quickly moving to the top of my list. Quickly steam them in the microwave, sprinkle with salt, go.
2. Frozen Baby Peas. I love them because they’re wee little babies. And you can toss them into pasta, macaroni and cheese, etc.
3. Salad. As Complicated Vegetarian said so nicely, it just makes you feel good to have washed greens at the ready in the fridge.
4. Cucumbers. I like these for lunchboxes and general versatility. It takes no time to cut up a cuke. Admittedly, they are way better in season, but very useful to have around. Slap them on bread with cream cheese and call it a tea party.
5. Baby Spinach. Great for salads, soups, pizzas, and quesadillas. I have a bag of this at all times.
Do you feel you must eat or serve a green vegetable with every meal? Which ones do you go for most? Post a comment below!
Send your vegetables, your queries, and your deep thoughts to practical cook at gmail dot com. Connect on Facebook: The Practical Cook Blog. (Thanks in advance for spreading The Practical Cook Blog word. Press “like” on Facebook today!)
Tomorrow, once more it’s time for Weekly Menus!